We are proud to report that Kerubiel Kft. is entitled to use the OPTEN Stable Crisis Proofness Certificate! The negative economic effects of the coronavirus epidemic have now caught up with all [...]
Code review is a sofware quality assurance process in which one or more technicians review the source code of a given software and examine it during operation and during interruption.
Code review can serve several purposes:
- Code quality – formal code development (readability, consistency, comprehensibility, etc.)
- Debugging – improving the code with special regard to its correctness, methods of solution, operation, vulnerability, possible embedded viruses
- Knowledge transfer – the expert and the author of the code agree on the structure of the code, the various solutions, the quality expectations, etc.
- Shared responsibility – enhances the sense of shared responsibility and solidarity with the code
- Better solutions – negotiators can find newer and more specific solutions
- Requirement – code review is required by law for certain software (such as those related to air traffic control)
The most common methodologies:
- Email stream – The code is emailed to professionals who also share their views via email with the code author
- Over the shoulder – the author of the code presents the code to the experts on his own machine and explains the reasons and considerations behind it. And the experts review the code on the spot, over the shoulder of the author, and formulate their comments and suggestions.
- Technical – software-based code review tools can also be used for code review. The advantage of this is that no comment or solution is lost, it is not fixed, it can be done independently by several experts.
In addition to testing, code review is specifically designed to detect finer, more human errors and omissions. The very fact that programming is followed by code review is capable of making a programmer more precise, inventive, and attentive, since nobody wants to be embarrassed by their colleagues.